Thursday, August 2, 2007

Queen of Journaling


I've been writing "morning pages" every day for a year and half. I think it was the only thing that kept me sane when I was struggling the most. When I was younger, I always kept a journal, but wrote at night. But writing in the morning is way better for me. I am able to remember some of dreams as well as clear out all the things floating around in my head before I start filling it up again! Try it-and don't tell me you don't have time. I started my morning pages ritual when my daughter was only about 6 months old. If I had time you can find a way to make time too. I actually get up before my daughter in order to make sure that I have a quiet moment to write. I'm a better, mom, wife and artist because of it. By the way, the whole morning pages idea is Julia Cameron's from The Artist's Way. I know I've been writing a lot about her books lately, but they really do make such a difference for me.
I've been keeping a journal (on and off) since I was 10 years old. I still have the first one & it's a blast to go back and read those old entries. The things I thought were the end of the world! But, I'm going to remember to go back and read them again when my daughter is 10 and I'm frustrated with her drama. I'm hoping it will help me be more empathetic. Maybe I'll even let her read them-so she knows she's not alone.
I also keep a ton of journals. One for morning pages, an art/visual journal, a journal of ideas, a journal of lists. I know! I'm crazy!
If you are inspired to start journaling, I just added a bunch of journals to my Etsy store. All the pictures in this post are pics of the covers. Happy Journaling!