Monday, October 1, 2007

Painting-The Sequel

Well, I went to the painting class on Friday night. It was challenging to say the least. I went in excited, and came out a bit broken & frustrated. I think I liked it better when I was self-taught. Don't get me wrong-I learned a lot in the class & the instructor was nice, but this was a very classic, art school type painting class, and the instructor really wanted us to paint realistically. I struggled & struggled to really "see" all the details and put them on paper, but I couldn't do it. The mess of a painting above is the result of the class.

So I stewed over it all night, woke up on Saturday and didn't want to do anything creative. I knew I needed to overcome the hurtle. I decided that I needed to find a name for the kind of whimsical, unrealistic painting I do and decided Folk Art is the answer. Here's the definition from Artcyclopedia. "Folk Art is art which does not come out of the fine art tradition. Folk Art is characterized by a naive style, in which traditional rules of perspective and proportion are not employed." Thank you very much. I began to paint and here's what came out.

I'm pretty proud of it. I realized I learned a lot in the class, I think my painting is technically better than it was. I also learned that I can apply classic techniques to my own interpretation of painting and come up with something that I'm happy with. I also figured out that I've been playing it safe lately. This painting class was a new, scary experience and it wasn't always pleasant, but it was an important exercise. Will I go to another class? You bet!