Tuesday, November 6, 2007

This "Little Mommy" Is Ill

This illustration is from one of my favorite childhood books, Little Mommy. I loved the illustrations as a child & still do. The storyline is a bit unrealistic though. I'm sick today-sore throat, dizzy, nauseous, coughing. I want to crawl into bed and watch stupid daytime television & drink tea. BUT...I have a two year old & two year olds don't give you sick days. (Kind of makes a person miss their old boss, doesn't it? I mean we thought they were unreasonable...) I still have to feed her, entertain her and try not to get her sick. I know I shouldn't complain. My daughter is really good about playing quietly by herself, but I'm sick & cranky & it's my blog, so I'm complaining!

That being said, I thought I would share some tricks for getting better. I just recently stumbled across an article that said you should rub Vicks Vapor Rub on the soles of your feet and put on socks and it will stop your cough. And guess what? It works! I'm totally going to use this for my daughter next time she's sick. Seems way safer than giving her over-the-counter drugs. It's good for mommies too because it doesn't make you drowsy and we aren't allowed to be drowsy when we are sick or ever, but I already covered that above.

My second trick is what I call the "Magic Cure". As soon as I feel like I might be getting sick, I start to use saline nasal spray every morning & night and follow it up with a gargle of Listerine. I swear I've prevented illnesses with this or at least shortened the length of many of them. I know this because my husband, Dr. Science refuses to believe in my undocumented remedies & is usually sick more often & longer than I am. MY science behind this one is that the germs that give you colds, usually populate in the space behind your nose, at the top of your throat & I feel like the nasal spray washes them away and the Listerine kills the rest-thus preventing them from multiplying.

Okay, enough sicky talk! I'd love to hear any tips you might have. Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor and neither is anyone who comments on this blog (I think), so don't hold me responsible for anything you try. I know I gave a scientific explanation, but I made it up. Sniffle...