Monday, December 17, 2007

Holiday Sale


As promised, I have a bunch of goodies for sale in my Etsy shop as I try to empty out the store for the new year. This is the last post about selling for awhile. I've really been struggling with where my art is going & why I'm making art. I find I constantly struggle with making art for art's sake and making it to sell. It's a fine balance & I feel like it's a major issue for me both artistically and practically speaking. When you make art to sell & you don't make sales, you begin to wonder if you are any good. That's kind of where I am now. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a way to guilt you into buying-it's just what I'm struggling with right now. I've been dealing with these feeling for a few weeks now & it all came to a head this weekend. The boutique I was at was in Laguna Beach, a thriving artist community here in California. Many of the other vendors were painters and I felt so very intimidated. As I set-up my crappy little booth, with my amateur art, I fought the urge to just run & hide. It really bothered me. My big plans for 2008 were to stop doing crafts and really concentrate on painting and art journaling. I wanted to fill my shop with prints and note cards of my artwork and I had BIG dreams of being like Black Apple. Seeing my technique this weekend compared to other, educated artists, really made me realize that my artwork still needs a lot of work. So I'm taking a few weeks off from marketing & business & I'm just going to make art for awhile. Try to get back on my feet & feel good about what little talent I have.

I've found that the best place for me to play is in my art journals, so you'll probably be seeing a lot of posts about my work in them. Here's one that I just did. It was one of those days where I had nothing in mind. Just decided to use some sample paints I had rolling around here and some catalog pictures. The palette is completely outside of my usual choices, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I'm not sure that the page is finished, but is an art journal page ever really finished? I kind of feel like this page today. Shrouded, but reaching-always reaching.