Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sleep in Heavenly Peace


Yesterday, there was a news story about how someone in Canyon Country is stealing baby Jesus statues from Nativity scenes in people's yards and placing the statues at the feet of a statue of Mary at a local church. The thief leaves a note telling the owners of the statues where they can find the baby. For some reason, I can't get the story out of my head. What is the motivation? It's oddly compelling. What disturbs me is that the news story said the "victims" and the church have called the police in for an investigation. Somehow, that tells me the message isn't being heard. I mean, the thief is only changing locations, not taking the item away forever or defacing anything. It's a very strange story.

Oddly enough, I was painting this version of the Madonna & Child when I heard the story. I'm not a religious person, but I am spiritual and I pick & choose from different religions based on what speaks to my soul. The Virgin Mary speaks to me. Even more so since I have become a mother.

In the spirit of Christmas, I'm giving you this background that I designed as a gift. Feel free to take it & use it, but please only use it in art that's for personal use, okay? I'd love to see what you come up with.



Happy Holidays!