Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Coffee, Tea & Uncertainty

Are you dying to know about my other book? I've been reading a lot of buzz about The Principles of Uncertainty on other artist's blogs lately. On Friday night, I was walking through Barnes & Noble, and passed by the bargain section and gasped in delight. Really, I gasped! A woman turned around and looked at me. The book was sitting in the bargain section, in hardback, marked down to $3.98! That's practically as cheap as my old Judy Blume book! I snapped it up (well I got 3 copies, but I'm not telling who else is getting one) and ran to the register. I'd like to add that the woman who heard me scream moved right in on the book once I turned my back. I read the whole book that night. It's not hard because it's mainly sketches, drawings and just a bit of journaling. I felt like I was reading someone else's journal. It was great.

Reading it and looking at the author's life, I realized how shockingly sterile my little part of the world is. The author lives in NYC, and while I don't think New York is only the place to find diversity, I know I can't find it here. I live in South Orange County, California. What you see on the shows, The OC and The Real Housewives of Orange County is uncomfortably true. They don't do different here. Everyone looks like they stepped out of a J. Crew catalog. Don't get me wrong, it's a safe place to live & the schools are great, but I think I need to make a little trip up to LA to refill the inspiration pool. It would probably help my self-esteem too. I don't fit in. When we were looking for houses here 10 years ago, I turned to my husband and said I don't think we can live here-I'm pretty sure you have to be blond. That's because every house we looked at had a family photo with a blond mom in it. (Not bashing blonds, but variety is the spice of life.) We won't even go into body image here....

Okay, so that's my little ah ha moment of the day. Here's what I've been working on. I've been painting on used coffee filters and tea bags. I'm liking it. I'm thinking I might approach a couple of coffee houses around here & see if they want to hang my art.