Monday, January 28, 2008

Weekend Reading


You may be wondering where I was this weekend. It was a cold & rainy weekend here in Southern California and I had the rare opportunity to spend the weekend in my "nesting chair", reading. My husband took charge of our daughter most of the weekend (I think he's hoping for a returned favor next weekend for the Superbowl) so I was able to read 2 books! I know that seems like a lot, but for me that used to be the usual number I could read in weekend before I had a child! A little secret about me-I might like to read as much (if not more, GASP!) as I like to do art. My undergrad degree is in Comparative Literature and I briefly toyed with the idea of being a high school English teacher at one point in my life. I've loved to read since I was a little girl. I distinctly remember the moment I realized I could read. I was watching The Electric Company, and the Spiderman bit came on. If you remember it, at the end there was always a cliff-hanger where just the dialogue bubble would pop on the screen. One day I was watching & realized I could actually READ what was in the bubble! I was hooked. I spent many weekends reading away snowy, Ohio afternoons. My favorite author was Judy Blume, which brings me to book number one this weekend. Have you read Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume? It is a blast to read. Especially if you cut your teeth (or is it breasts?) on Judy Blume as a young girl. I mean, Judy told it like it is. Yes, many of our mothers tried to explain the whole sex thing, but until I read Are You There God? It's Me Margaret or Then Again, Maybe I Won't or Forever, I didn't really know what was going on. Even all that heavy stuff aside, I started my Judy Blume affair with books like Tales of Fourth Grade Nothing & Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great.

Okay, back to this weekend's book. It's a collection of essays by female authors about their experiences reading Judy Blume. I guarantee it will bring back memories-not just of the books themselves, but of Candies, Goody barrettes and Troll Book Orders. Many of the writers who contributed recommend going back and reading some of Judy's books today. Apparently, they are still timeless & we may even see the parent characters in a different light. I'm definitely going to look for my old copies for a reread.

All this made me think-what if we did a collaborative art project about how Judy Blume affected our lives? Or an homage to our favorite book? Like the female authors did, only we could do it in art form. Is anyone up for it? If so, email me or leave a comment with your email address & I'll come up with a plan. I think we could even turn the project into a gallery show.

So that's enough for today. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out about the other book I read this weekend.

P.S. The photo today is a scan of my original copy of Tales of Fourth Grade Nothing. Notice the price? God! I'm old!