Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Craft & Hobby Association


I attended CHA's Winter Show this past weekend. It's one of the biggest shows in the industry & I'm lucky enough to live 20 minutes away from Anaheim where it's held. It's always very fun to see what new art & craft supplies are being introduced and you get to network with all your favorite artists. On Saturday, I took two classes about licensing my artwork and I'm all fired up to get started on my strategic plan for making that happen. It's always so inspiring to go to a class-you want to run home and try everything right away.

On Sunday, I went to the show and walked the floor. I did some make and takes and a bit of networking. I saw Kelly Snelling, a blog buddy of mine at the F&W Publications booth. She has a book coming out this summer! I also met Violette in the Licensing & Design area. She's such a sweet soul-go visit her site as soon as possible. It will brighten your day. Claudine Hellmuth was there too-signing copies of her books and giving them away! (That's another great thing about CHA-you come home loaded down with samples & goodies!)

I also hit the Fiskars booth. As many of you know, I'm a Fiskateer and a bunch of the Fiskateers met up at the booth on Sunday. It was so fun to meet everyone in person!

One of the highlights of my day was meeting The Crafty Chica, Kathy Cano Murillo. (That's the two of us at the top! I look terrible, but she's as cute as ever!) She's introducing a line of craft supplies through Duncan. I did a really cool make and take at the booth-this cool, VERY glittery tote bag.



The reason I was so excited to meet Kathy is because back when I was working on finding my creativity, she played an integral part in my journey. I was working through the book, The Artist's Way, but I still wasn't actually DOING any art. One day I was at the bookstore, looking in the craft section, when I saw one of Kathy's books, Art de la Soul. I loved everything I saw and bought the book. I laughed and cried through the essays-I felt like we had similiar experiences. Then I picked one of the projects and I did it! I actually DID something crafty and now, as you all know, I do something almost everyday.

All in all the show was a success for me. It's still going on, but I'm back on Mommy Duty this week. I'm thankful for having a husband who is willing to spend the entire weekend on Daddy Duty for me. (I think he's hoping I'll become a famous artist & he can retire....)