Monday, March 3, 2008

What a Week!

A week ago Thursday, my daughter came down with croup, then a cold & now she has hives. On top of that, my in-laws were here for a visit. With all that going on, I haven't had much time to do art & you know that makes me pretty cranky! I did manage to do my morning pages each morning & my daily sketch, hence the "Tofu in a Bowl" sketch today. It's a page out of my journal. It's all I have to offer.

Despite everything, I did work on my creative journey with the book, Walking in This World. At first I wasn't very motivated and I didn't feel like the exercises were getting me any further than where I was, but I showed-up and I did them. I wrote my morning pages and I took my artist's date. And, suddenly this morning, after waking up at 4am to give my daughter Benedryl, I began to get some insight. I wrote pages and pages in my journal and feel like a new woman.

I've been struggling with feeling competitive with other artists. Reading their blogs and looking at their artwork and feeling jealous of their talent and their successes. Then I would feel like a bad person for thinking that and then I would feel like my artwork wasn't any good, and on and on. This morning I realized there's enough to go around. There's no talent quota in the universe that says only 'x' number of people can be talented. There's no limit to success. If I share in the joy of the success & talent of my peers and help them when I can, I am only encouraging the world to appreciate what we all do & therefore I open the doors even wider for all of our success. Sounds simple. Why didn't I come up with it sooner?

It's a beautiful, sunny day here, so I'm off to the backyard to play in the sandbox and paint. Have a good week. I'll check-in again soon.