Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Come into my studio


This always happens to me. I avoid my studio-I find every reason not to paint or do any art, and then I come back with a vengence. I usually come up with a fresh new perspective too. I think what I call being "blocked" is actually just an incubation period. I am a very level-headed person, but my creativity is very manic-depressive. From doing nothing to a frenzy of work in a short amount of time. Since last night, I have done 4 paintings. Sometimes I think slowing down might make my work better, but I just can't seem to do it. I have started letting some of my paintings be considered unfinished and I occassionally tinker with them later, but more often than not, what you see is what you get. I was like that in college too. I only wrote one draft of my papers. No rough drafts. So here's what I've been up to. You'll see how the cupcake and flower pictures I posted I last posted about influenced my recent work. Photos I take often plant the first seeds of inspiration. So do catalogs. In the above photo, you can see that I am working on a painting that was inspired from a sketch in my art journal. I sketched that while looking at a furniture catalog. The bed I'm showing here is also a catalog inspired sketch. Whenever I look at catalogs, I rip pages and pages out and put them in a binder. I've been going crazy ripping shabby chic, little girl beds out of magazines lately. I think these two paintings are little different than my usual stuff, but I wonder is the difference so slight that only I can see it?

"Please Be Seated"


"Sweet Dreams"


"Elegant Cupcake"


****UPDATE******
All these images are now available on note cards in my
Etsy Shop!