Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pleasanton was Pleasant...

As many of you know, I went to the ZNE Convention in Pleasanton, California this past weekend. I took my mom along. We had a great road trip-lots of talking-and arrived in Pleasanton on Thursday evening. Friday was the start of the convention. We had box lunches and walked and shopped around Pleasanton. I was lucky enough to finally visit the fabulous store, American Harvest. It was everything I was expecting and I picked up some fabulous vintage goodies to use in future projects. On Friday night, we saw the film, 1000 Journals. If you haven't seen it yet, please try to. It was fascinating and very inspiring. The filmmaker was there to talk about the film afterwards. Unfortunately, there wasn't a microphone, so I didn't hear much, but I did hear her tell us she sold her house to make the film. Talk about believing in yourself and your creative pursuits. Amazing!
Oh yes, before the movie, we ate at a GREAT restaurant in Pleasanton called Eddie Papa's. The food was incredible, but my favorite part was the little bowl of cotton candy they brought with the check.
On Saturday, we started the morning out with breakfast and a talk by the author SARK. Her books have always been a favorite of mine for creative jump starts, but hearing her in-person and meeting her at the book signing was amazing. She really makes you believe you can do anything.

After breakfast, it was off to class. My mom and I were lucky enough to be in DJ Pettitt's class. She is an excellent teacher. I learned so much and she was just about the sweetest and most nurturing person I have met in a long time. I produced these two collages in her class. Really, her class made the whole trip worthwhile!

On Sunday, we went to the vendor fair and I got to see my artwork in a small gallery showing for all the artists who were published in the book, 1000 Artist Journal Pages (this is a different project than the movie). I had mixed feelings about this event, that I don't want to go into here, but I am very proud to be in the book and I finally got to meet the author, Dawn Sokol. It's always nice to put a name with a face.
So that's my show and tell. A very inspiring and thought provoking trip. I hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend!