Friday, August 8, 2008

Politically Correct



Sorry I haven't been around this week. Do you ever have one of those weeks where you are busy-busy-busy, then at the end of the week you wonder what you actually got done? That's where I am today!

I did manage to upload postcard sets to my Etsy Shop. These are professionally printed and are a mix of many of the paintings I've been showing you lately. I'm curious to see how the professionally printed stuff goes. Let me know what you think of them. You can find them in my new postcard section.

Okay, now to the title of this post. A few months ago, I had someone email me saying that they thought I should have more illustrations featuring people of color. They were very nice about it. All my Katie Faces and woman are caucasian. I had very mixed feelings about this email. My issue is that I feel weird trying to paint people of other nationalities. What if I get the features wrong? Or what if someone gets offended, thinking I'm drawing caricatures or stereotyping? I want to stretch myself and I want my art to reflect my beliefs and I do believe we all are created equally. I attempted the painting above and am still feeling a bit icky. I really don't want to insult anyone, but I also don't want to exclude anyone either. So I want to know your thoughts on this subject. I don't necessarily want to get into politics here, but I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. What a loaded questions, huh?

I promise to share light-hearted and fun projects next!