Wednesday, August 27, 2008

She's Not Heavy, She's My Sister

I'm really excited to write about my trip to Pleasanton and the ZNE Convention, but I am completely swamped right now and I want to be able to give the post the attention it deserves. I'm trying to accomplish some business goals and get my daughter ready to start school on September 6th. I did want to check-in though and tell you I'm home and happy.

In the midst of working my tail off and doing art for the sake of business, I took a late-night break last night and did this watercolor. I followed the instructions from Alex Shur's article in the latest issue of Cloth Paper Scissors. (This issue is filled with great techniques! Pick-up a copy today!) Back to the watercolor-I'm really happy with how it turned out. Basically, you laydown some paint and then try to see what shapes are in it. It was difficult for me to do this, but I was amazed by what I found hiding in the paint once I relaxed into the process. It's totally different than my usual artwork, but it was a really nice break and it inspired me. I call it "She's Not Heavy, She's My Sister". (Hi Wendy & Jenny! You know I would carry you anytime, right? That goes for you, Reina, too!) I haven't worked in watercolor in a long time & I didn't realize how much I missed it. I have another piece in progress using the same technique that I'm hoping to finish in the next few days.

Next time you are crazy-busy, take a minute and try something new. Do art for art sake's. You'll be more productive once you return to your "work".