Friday, September 12, 2008

Fiskars Fridays



I created this card using Fiskars' Monthly Card Sketch. (For those of you who don't know (I didn't once!), "sketches" refer to a pattern to use as inspiration for laying out your design elements.) I used to think card & scrapbook sketches were only for people who did scrapbooking. As I did more and more drawing & painting, I didn't think I would use the sketches. But I was wrong. By challenging myself to create a card, using the monthly sketch and incorporating my original artwork, I found a whole new way to tap into the huge creativity pool of the scrapbooking world without actually DOING any scrapbooking. I'm thinking I could even use the lay-outs to create individual drawings in each box. Scrapbook lay-outs could be the inspiration for putting together to art journal pages or even paintings. They can really help you define the space on your page or canvas.

So my challenge for you this week is to find a card sketch or a scrapbook sketch and see how you can incorporate into your particular area of the arts & craft world. Heck, even sewers could create quilts using these lay-outs! I'd love to see what you can come up with. To see Fiskars' September sketch for a card go here. For their scrapbook sketch go here.

By the way, while you are on Fiskars website, you can see last week's Fiskars Fridays project in the Gallery section!