Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Great Twitter Experiment

Twitter. I hear about it all the time. I have an account and frankly, I didn't think it was working for me. At least not in sales numbers or even as a networking tool. But I've decided not to judge something before I give it a fair shake. So, this week, I'm conducting The Great Twitter Experiment. I am devoting 30 minutes a day to marketing on Twitter. That's the ONLY place I'm going to market this week. And I'm tracking my results. For example, I'm going to Twitter about new items I post to my Etsy shop. Just before I Twitter, I will look at the number of views on the item. Then I'll post the item link on Twitter, wait for about 10 minutes and then look at my views again. During the 10 minutes I wait to collect data, I'll be adding people to my list to "follow" and will be supporting my fellow "tweeters". I'm breaking the daily 30 minutes into 3 ten minutes chunks, at different times of the day, so that I can see if the timing plays a role in my numbers. I know this all sounds very scientific and particular, but it's not. As a stay-at-home mom, who is trying to run an online business, I need to know which online networking venues work the best for me so that I can use my very limited wisely. Want to play with me? I'd love to compare numbers and see if Twitter works for you!

If you aren't already "Following" me, please do! Here's my Twitter page. I always return the favor!

Don't know what I'm talking about and want to learn more about Twitter? I highly recommend Tara Reed's free ebook on Twitter!

I'm planning on running experiments on all my online presences, so stay tuned for The Great Facebook Experiment next week! I'll also post my results for this experiment next week too!