Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gratitude

No pictures today-sorry. I am full of medication. I am fuzzy and tired and feel like I was hit by a very large truck. BUT-I am grateful.

Since the fires in Southern California started last week, I've been coughing. I have asthma, but it usually only comes on when I am around cats and then is always easily controlled. On Wednesday, with my husband out of town, alone at night with my 3 year old, I began to struggle to breathe. I coughed-it tasted like smoke. I spent a sleepless night, arguing with myself. "You should go to the emergency room." "Don't be a drama queen-you don't want to wake everyone up to get help." "What if you pass out? Who will take care of the baby"? I woke the next morning with sharp pain in my chest, dressed my daughter, took her to a daycare facility and went to the doctor. By the time I got there, I was coughing, trembling and almost passing out. You know there is a problem when the nurse takes your vitals (very high blood pressure & pulse), leaves the room and the doctor appears with a shot in her hand. (I mean it usually take my doctor a half hour to show up after the nurse takes my vitals!) I was having a very bad asthma attack and it was causing my body to go crazy! After a shot of steriods and a breathing treatment I was feeling much better. I wasn't allowed to drive home though.

Now for the gratitude. I have the best family in the world. I called my very hard- working brother. He dropped everything and was at the door of the doctor's office to drive me home. He helped me retrieve my daughter. He waited at home with me until my mother could get to my house to take over. Off they went, to get my car from the doctor's parking lot and to get the prescriptions. My mother stayed with me for a day and a half until my husband could come home. I am very lucky to have a family that takes such good care of each other. Now my husband is home. Caring for me and worrying. After a week long business trip, he has jumped right into the mess and is taking care of me and our toddler.

I am on the mend. I finally slept through the night last night and woke feeling much better, but after a shower and making the bed, I am dizzy and tired. Sitting around, doing nothing (when there is so much to do) is VERY hard for me. I am getting frustrated. So I am writing this post instead of having a pity party. I need to remind myself of how very lucky I am to have so many people in my life who will help. Thank you Mom & James & Bruce. For being there. I am a lucky girl.