Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Great Twitter Experiment Results

After a week of actively using Twitter to network and market, I have some results to share with you. Keep in mind that this is just my experience. It's up to you to see if Twitter will work for you. To find out how I experimented with Twitter, please read my original post about The Great Twitter Experiment.

So how did I do? I had one sale in my Etsy shop this week and when I asked the buyer how they found me, they said it was from my article in The Storque, so it doesn't look like Twittering brought me any sales. I did have a huge increase in views everytime I posted a link to an item or my blog though.

Of course, I immediately decided that I was getting views and not sales because my work was crummy and no one wanted it once they saw it. I secretly knew that kind of thinking was my inner critic talking and I started to feel better once I noticed that "lots of views, no sales" is a common discussion on boards discussing Twitter as a marketing tool. So I decided maybe it wasn't just me, and tried to think about why I, and many other sellers, were getting the same results of high views but few sales.

I think one issue is the fact that my "Followers" (and the people I'm "Following") are mostly in the same business as I am. We are all artists and crafters and we keep trying to sell to each other. We always want to be supportive, so we go look at what people are posting, but we can't always buy what they are selling. Sometimes, I look and it's not even my style and I am sure many people feel the same way about my stuff. It's important to remember that, when you develop a marketing plan, you need to think about WHO your target market is. It's not always another crafter or artist.

Don't get me wrong, for networking purposes, connecting with other artists and crafters on Twitter is helpful. I was able to ask their opinions about the quantity of cards I should sell per pack and their experience and knowledge was incredibly helpful. I just think I need to also include non-artists in my Follower list. I need to sit-down and think about who buys my products and then find them on Twitter so that I'm presenting my product to my buyers, not my peers.

Of course, all that being said, it never hurts to have exposure and Twitter definately gets a lot of people looking at your shop. I know many people have been featured on blogs and received press because of their Twittering.

Based on my findings, I am planning on continuing to use Twitter to market my shop, but won't be making it the top priority in my marketing plan. Twitter can become addictive and the amount of time I was spending on it wasn't translating into dollars. As a mom who is trying to squeeze in business between naps, playdates and meals, it's vital that I get most the bang for my buck everytime I sit down to market my shop and my artwork. I will definately stay in touch with all my new Twitter friends, their advice has been incredibly helpful and I would like to return the favor whenver I can. I will also post about new items I put in my shop and about blog entries, but my time on Twitter will have to be limited to maybe 30 minutes a week instead of 30 minutes a day. Did you participate in The Great Twitter Experiment with me? If you did, blog about it and post the link in the comments on this post. I'd love to see your results!

So where else will I go to market my shop and my art? Next stop, Facebook. Want to join me on The Great Facebook Experience? I'll post more about it on Sunday or Monday.

To get more marketing tips for artists and crafters, sign-up for my free, monthly, electronic newsletter here.