Thursday, November 13, 2008

I'm like a bird

Birds and birdcages are important symbols in my artwork. I've been trying to sketch every night and, when I run out of ideas of what to sketch, I have been pulling out my Anthropologie catalogs to get inspired. This sketch started out with me trying to draw one of the model's faces, and then all this background jumped out of my pencil and onto the page. It makes me feel very serene and happy to look at it. It's a bit of the story of my life. Stuck between wanted to be domesticated and cared for and wanting to be free to perch in trees.

Yesterday's sketch was also inspired by an Anthropologie catalog. I think I'm going to do a series of catalog sketches and see where they take me. I have another one to share later.

I may be missing for a few days. A friend of mine from high school is coming to visit me, and we will be busy catching-up. I'll be back though. Probably with more catalog sketches!