Monday, December 1, 2008

Did you know I can sew?

Kind of, at least. I find sewing very frustrating. I tell myself it's because I have a very inexpensive machine so the thread is always getting twisted or comes undone, but I'm suspicious it might be user error.

I've been so inspired watching everyone in blogland make softies, so I dusted off my nemisis (I mean my sewing machine) off and tried my hand at a few projects. I started off easy, doing this non-sewing tutorial by my blog buddy, Nikki. It was super easy. The only hard part? Turning the wonderful no-sew panel into a pillow. I did it though and am quite pleased. I also did a canvas tote with the same design. I'm thinking I'll embroider the faces next time around to make them really stand-out.

Then I used iron-on sheets to put my original illustrations onto fabric and then made softies out of them. A first try...not perfect, but still pretty fun. And a certain, pudgy handed three year old is very in love with them, so that's all that really matters right?