Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Feast of Saint Nicholas


Today is the feast day of St. Nicholas. The bishop upon whom Santa Claus is based. I was raised Catholic and we always celebrated this day. (Remember, I talked about this last year?) Although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I do want to pass this holiday onto my daughter. (Any excuse for fun & presents, right?) Being the Martha Stewart of family, I always have to take things above and beyond the basics. This year, as I was cruising the internet, I came across a website that showed how to make your basic chocolate, foil wrapped Santa into St. Nicholas. So easy! A little colored cardstock for his bishop hat and a pipe cleaner for his shepard "wand". (Okay, I've been out of the church long enough to not remember what the real names of bishops' accessories are. Sister Mary Angela must rolling over in her grave right now...) I think these came out incredibly cute. Unfortunately, it was early morning and I didn't bookmark where I got the idea from and so I can't give credit to the brilliant person who came up with this idea. (Whoever you are-you are one smart cookie and I bow to you!) Religion aside, it's really fun to teach my daughter the historical background of Santa. I figure the chocolate part will just enforce that learning is a good thing, right? Now, I'm off to see what St. Nick left in my shoes for me....