Monday, March 2, 2009

ink & threads


I'm a woman possessed. Obsessed. I'm embroidering anything that doesn't move. Miss Muse has returned from her travels, sewing basket in hand. Textiles and sewing haven't interested me in a long time. The last time I embroidered anything I was about 10 years old and let's just say that was a LONG time ago. I do know that I loved it so much as a child that I briefly had to wear glasses because I was embroidering and reading so much that I was causing eye strain and gave myself headaches. But I'm not happy doing anyone else's patterns. I'm leafing through my journals and my sketchbooks, finding images to trace onto muslin and embroider. The tofu bowl was my first try at embroidery this week. It's the first thing I've embroidered since childhood, so it's a bit messy, but I do love it so. It makes me happy to look at it. Maybe I'm just glad Miss Muse is back. Want to see the book that I'm using to learn basic stitches? Click here.

Now, what to do with this embellished scraps? Pillows, fabric journal covers? Who knows where this will take me...