Friday, April 24, 2009

crunchy granola girl


Crunchy Granola Girl is how I referred to a girl my husband dated before he met me. I never met her, but the stories he told were about a girl who couldn't have been more different from me. A no make-up wearing, hiking, camping kind of girl. So I named her after what I thought might be her favorite hiking trail treat. Crunchy granola.

Yesterday, I made some granola from scratch. I adapted a recipe from this cookbook. It's filled with cranberries, coconut and walnuts. We had some with milk for breakfast and I see a yogurt & granola snack in our future later today. Here's the recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup of honey
1 cup dried cranberries

Mix the oats, coconut and walnuts in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the oil & honey. Pour the oil & honey mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes check on the granola and stir it. The granola is ready once it is golden brown & toasty. Cool the granola, then add the cranberries. Store in an air tight container.

I made a little package of the granola to bring over to my neighbor's house. They are always showing up at our door with gifts for my daughter, so whenever I bake, I try to put together a little package for them. Why not make up a batch to share with your neighbors today? (My fabric gift tags look great on packages of granola!)

If you want this recipe mailed to you, go to my contact page and give me your address. In the comments section tell me you want the granola recipe. I'm going to make up postcards with my photos from this post on the front and the recipe on the back. It's a little treat I'm going to start giving my readers whenver I share a recipe (and maybe some craft projects!). Maybe one day, you'll have a whole collection of my postcards!