Friday, May 1, 2009

i heart strawberries


For some reason, I've been strawberry crazy this season. I buy huge amounts every week and need to go back for me the next week. I have been making strawberry jam by the gallons. Last year, we thought my daughter was allergic to strawberries. She broke-out in a rash everytime she ate strawberry yogurt or anything strawberry flavored. We have recently realized that she is actually reacting to the red dye in these products. She's happily back to eating strawberries now. We just have to stick to all-natural stuff. I recently figured out that I can make jam and not do the whole canning process. (What can I say? I can be slow on the uptake!) As long as you are planning on eating up the jam within a week or so, you are pretty safe. I think this process is called freezer jam. All I know is that my daughter is now a peanut butter and jelly gourmet and I'm going to be hard-pressed to convince her to go back to store bought jam!

I just picked up the latest issue of Cooking Light magazine and they have some fantastic strawberry recipes too. On Tuesday night we had Gogonzola & Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Breasts with a Strawberry Gastrique & then Strawberry Cake for dessert. Yum! And all of it was "light"!

Do you have any good strawberry recipes? What's your favorite thing to make during strawberry season?