Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May Creative Newsletter

I just sent out my creative tips newsletter for May. If you are subscriber, it will be in your Inbox any minute. This month, I created an outdoor studio!

We had a couple of really beautiful spring days last week here in Southern California. I try to spend as much time as I can outdoors in the Spring because once the heat of the summer hits, it can get pretty miserable. I decided to bring my art outside instead of being couped up inside. Setting up this little work table (using an old bakers rack) outside gave me a really fresh jolt of creative energy. It was nice too, because my daughter was able to play in her little pool while I sketched. Everyone was happy.

I made the banner by printing out photos I took on a recent trip to the Carlsbad Flower Fields. I printed the photos out on cardstock (after playing with them in Photoshop for a bit!). Then glued them onto pretty cardstock and strung them with ribbon. Instant garden inspiration.

I'm thinking I might also hang-up some of my ribbon organizers to add interest to the outdoor studio.
I made these flowers to hang in my trees last year. The project is from Sandra Evertson's book, Fanciful Paper Flowers.

I kept things super easy by using Sakura's Koi Watercolor Field Kits and Waterbrush as my outdoor tools. I didn't want to drag a bunch of things outside, and these products are perfect for little jaunts. Even if those jaunts are just to your patio.

Because I live in Southern California, and we are in the middle of a drought, I can leave my little outdoor studio up for the summer. If you have more unpredictable weather, you could always pack a vintage picnic basket with your supplies and leave it by the back door.

I would love to hear your ideas for creating outside or while traveling. Leave a comment here with a link to your blog entry about the subject.