Tuesday, June 2, 2009

it broke and so did my heart


I inherited this sugar bowl from my paternal grandmother back in the early 90s. I love it. The whimsy of it. A long time ago, I decided that I would actually use the things I love instead of saving them for a special occassion. Every morning, I would spoon sugar from my bunch of grapes and smile to myself.

Well, you know what's coming. It broke. Last week, as I was fuzzy headed and sick and cleaning, I broke it. I moved it over to clean the counter, and as I was disentangling cords for the coffee pot, I bumped into it and sent it crashing to my tile floor. It seemed like it happened in slow motion. (I'm telling you, nothing good comes from cleaning!)

I cried. It upset my daughter, so I tried to pull myself together. I don't want her to misplace emotions onto things, like I was doing. That night, when I told my husband what happened, he looked relieved. He's a bit of a bull in a china shop and his life has been threatened many times in regards to his handling of the cherished sugar bowl. Yet I was the one who broke it.

The funny thing is, I took this photo just mere days before it broke. I was going to show it off on my blog. I feel so relieved that I did. At least I have the photo.

My lesson? To keep using my stuff. At least I had a good five or ten years of enjoying my sugar bowl before it broke. I'm also going to take photos of the things I love more often. At least I'll have the memories.