Thursday, June 25, 2009


I don't think I've painted in months. I've been so busy crafting and sewing, that I haven't been interested in painting. Then, the latest issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors hit my doorstep and inspiration hit me like a ton of bricks. Avoiding my to do list and, under the guise of playing with my daughter, I asked her if she wanted to paint (I knew the answer would be yes!). I started with some exercises by Jacqueline Newbold on the last page of the magazine and then I was off and running. I flipped over to an article by Kelli Nina Perkins and it was all over. Nothing else got done the rest of the day.

It's funny, I am always insisting (to myself) that I want to paint with acrylics, yet I think my best work is usually done in watercolors. The paints flow exactly where I want them to go. Shading and light are easier. I have a long way to go with the technical elements, but I find I am getting there faster with watercolors. So why do I struggle against it? I'm going to make an effort to embrace what comes easily. Oh, and to have fun too!

These paintings today aren't finished, but I did want to scan them. I am very happy with them so far, but they need more work. I have found that if I scan before the next step, I lose my fear of ruining the work. At least I'll have the scan, right? I have to go paint now. In addition to these two paintings that I am sharing, I have four others started. I told you I was out of control. I'm thinking we're having frozen pizza for dinner tonight.