Tuesday, June 9, 2009

sew easy


I've been sewing away. It's so fun to play in a new medium. It really refreshes my creativity. Unfortunately (for my bank account) that means I also have a whole new genre of crafty books and magazines to buy. I think I have a problem-I'm addicted to craft books. Amazon is usually my "dealer" of choice, but lately I've been sneaking off to Barnes & Noble too-especially when I need a quick fix. One of my recent purchases was Sew Darn Cute by Jenny Ryan. It's a very darn cute book and the projects are super simple-even for a clutzy sewer like me. Jenny even teaches you how to maintain your machine! (What? You're supposed to put machine oil in it? Change the needle after most projects? I've had my machine for about 10 years and I never did those things. Now that I have given the machine a little love, it doesn't act up as much. Who knew?) Anyway, one of the projects in the book is a cute headband. It only took me about a half hour to whip one of these out and then I went crazy. I think I've made about 5-6 different ones now. My model in the photo above loves them & keeps coming to me with requests to make one for every outfit.In addition to doing projects in books, I am also striking out on my own and combining my sewing, embroidery and painting into new exciting projects. I used my new found quilting skills to create my House Rules pillow. First, I scanned my House Rules painting into my computer and printed it out on an iron-on. I ironed it onto some muslin fabric and then embellished certain elements with some embroidery. Then I did some patchwork, quilted around the house and the patches and ended up with this darling pillow. I can't tell you how pleased I am with it. I'm even thinking of making another one to add to my shop. I just need to work up the guts to start putting my sewing projects up for sale. You'll be the first to know when I take the plunge though! (Oh! How cute is the fabric I used for the back of my pillow. I love it. I want to cover my entire house in it. Do you know where I can find a slipcover pattern for a whole house?)