Wednesday, July 8, 2009

pillow talk

I've been making pillows like crazy around here. (It's part of the whole "embellishment is better" kick I'm on right now.) I mean, I'm making a lot of pillows. Like one a day! So, here's a little known fact about me. Way back, about 8 or 9 years ago, I thought about starting a little crafty business. I was going to call it katydid designs (sound familiar?) and I was going to make and sell pillows. The only problem? I didn't really know how to sew. And between not being confident in my sewing skills and still having some major issues about whether or not it was "okay" to be crafty, and thinking I had no talent, I dropped the idea. A few years later, I recovered my crafty self, but decided to ease into my creative journey by doing paper crafting. But it all comes full circle, doesn't it? First collage, then painting and sketching and then I took that quilt class and the next thing I know I'm back where I originally started-making pillows! What a meandering path I took to get back here. Next time I should probably drop breadcrumbs. But I know I had to take the journey to get here. In fact, I know my work is better for it. Take my "Portrait Pillow" (the one in the middle of the above photo). That's an original watercolor that I scanned into my computer and printed on fabric. If I hadn't explored all these other mediums, like painting and sketching, I wouldn't have that pillow. I'm not saying that katydid designs is only going to be about pillows now, but I do think sewing is definately added to the mix. Talk about meandering-what was I originally posting about? Oh yeah, my embellishment craze. This time the couch was my latest victim, but can you really argue with the results after seeing the before and after photos?

I think not. Of course, that darling little girl on the couch adds a little something too. And did she ever send me on journey when she arrived! But that's a story for another day.