Thursday, August 27, 2009

did the souffle fall?

Last weekend my sister and I went to see Julie and Julia. Almost every blog post I've read about this movie has included a glowing review and talks about the different ways this movie resonated with the viewer, and this post is no different. I really enjoyed it and I think Nora Ephron adapted a screenplay to reflect the life of today's modern woman. Especially creative woman and bloggers! What did I take away from the movie? Here's my list:

1. I am not the only woman in the world to completely lose her mind and have a "fit" when things don't go right in the kitchen. My husband has been on the receiving end of many of these and I have often felt, in those post-fight moments, that I must be a really terrible person. Although I still admit that it's not the nicest part of me, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one in the world who struggles with this issue.

2. Julie's struggles with general unhappiness and the way her husband takes her unhappiness personally, is making me think twice about how much I complain. Really, my life just isn't that bad and really the best part about it is my husband.

3. I was super jealous of Julia's relationship with her husband-how supportive he was. Then I thought about it and realized that it's not like I'm running around being the biggest cheerleader for my husband either. I'm thinking I'm going to try to be more like Julia's husband. When you've been together for 15 years, you can kind of take your spouse for granted. I need to tell him regularly how spectacular and smart he is. Everyone wants to hear that.

4. I loved the way Julie handled Julia's criticism of her. Although initially upset, she was able to deal with it and not obsess over it.

5. Julia Child's cookbook took FOREVER to get published. I need to be more patient with my projects.

So after watching the movie, and learning all these lessons, my sister and I decided to pull out my copy of Julia's cookbook and make something out of it. Neither of us have ever made a souffle, so we made a vanilla souffle. It turned out okay. It wasn't incredibly difficult, and it did rise, but I don't think it fluffed up as much as it was supposed to. Oh, and while handing my sister the hot souffle to take photos, I might have burned her a little. (Sorry Jenny!) She should be used to it though, because it's not the first time I've burned her. (Insert bad childhood memory here.)

All in all a fun day. Did you see the movie? Did you like it? Have you ever made a souffle? Tell me! I want to know!