Friday, September 25, 2009

painting furniture

This inexpensive, bright blue, metal bed belonged to my maternal grandfather. A few years before he died, he bought it for his guest room and he loved to take naps in it. We regularly heard how it was the most comfortable bed he had ever slept in.

When he passed away, my niece got the bed for her first "big girl" bed. This summer she graduated to even more "grown-up" furniture, and my daughter was ready to move out of her toddler bed, so we inherited the bed. But my daughter's room, as you can well imagine, is pink and girly. A bright blue bed would not do.

So, I decided to spray paint it pink. But then, of course, I couldn't stop there. I also created candy canes striped on the bars. As I was in the hot garage, breathing too many spray paint fumes, I felt my grandfather standing next to me. I could almost hear him, whispering excitedly about how it was the most comfortable bed he ever slept-in. About how pleased he was that his simple happiness was being passed around the family.

The bed is finished now and every night I crawl into it to read to my daughter. And you know what? It really is the most comfortable bed I've ever been in.