Wednesday, October 14, 2009

it's nothing new


I'm reading Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg right now. I love Fannie's books because part of me longs for the "good old days" and I sometimes secretly harbor the wish to live in small town. Of course, I realize that the "good old days" had their share of problems and I know I would get bored in small town, but I do get nostalgic sometimes.

While reading, I came across the following passage:

In the late 1920s and early 1930s,...the long lonely days of isolated farmwives...were suddenly filled with warm and friendly voices. They were the voices of other women coming into their homes via the radio. As early as 1924, women all over the Midwest known as "radio homemakers" began broadcasting, supplying wives with new recipes, tips for raising children, household hints, gardening advice, local news, and entertainment, but most important, a daily visit with a good friend.

Um. Hello. It was creative blogging, only on the radio. (A shout out to the podcasters in the world who are keeping the tradition alive in its fullest sense!) The book talks about how the female characters would take a break out of their busy day, to sit with a cup of coffee and listen to their "favorite radio homemakers". I don't know about you, but that's pretty much what I do when I read my favorite bloggers.

Just goes to show you, we have been sticking together for a long, long time. No matter where you are, or how isolated you feel, remember the "girls" are out there for you. We have been for years.