Saturday, October 10, 2009

julia child wisdom


I'm reading My Life in France and have a highlighter by my bedside for emergency marking of quotes. If you thought Julie & Julia was full of little bits of wisdom, you'll love My Live in France.

The other day, I read this quote in the book:

"No one's more important then people! In other words, friendship is the most important thing-not career or housework, or one's fatigue-and it needs to be nurtured."

Julia was talking about how she and her husband were thinking of cancelling a trip to see friends because she was too busy writing her book. They went on the trip. And guess what? Julia still had her cookbook published! The world didn't end!

This really hit home for me. Lately, emails and phone calls are being left unanswered and when I do answer them, I am always saying things like, "Sorry, things are crazy around here!" and "I'm so busy!" and "I don't have time to go out!". I'm thinking about how annoying I must sound. As if I'm so important and busy that I can't find the time to pay attention to the people who care enough to write to me or phone me or want to spend time with me. No one likes someone who is flying around, yelling the sky is falling!

So I'm really trying to prioritize. I'm also trying to stop saying I'm so busy. (Even if I am.) And, in order to make it up to my friends, I've sent off a large number of letters and a few packages (in the regular mail!). It's my little way of telling them (and the universe) that I'm sorry. That I know people are more important than anything else. That I'm never too busy to care about them.

P.S. Guess who's camera is home? Safe and sound and fixed? I'm celebrating by taking photos of everything-hence today's photo!