Friday, October 23, 2009

thousands of Sicilian grandmothers can't be wrong


My husband is always dragging home fresh vegetables. He then lets them rot in the fridge until I throw them out. Tired of this game, I decided to create new rules. I try to look at his vegetable finds as a challenge. Each week, I see what he has stuffed the produce drawer with and then I challenge myself to find a brand new recipe to make with it.

The vegetable of the week was cauliflower. While not an exotic veggie, I've only seen it made a couple of ways: steamed, with cheese sauce or that god-awful recipe for faux mashed potatoes in the South Beach diet (yeah right-I don't miss mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter at all when I eat those!). So off to the cookbooks and cooking websites I went. And one recipe kept coming up. Cauliflower with pasta. Apparently a traditional dish in Sicily, but I just couldn't get my head around the idea of so much...well...white. But after reading comments about how it is such a great comfort food and every one's Sicilian grandmother made it, I gave it a try. And it was fabulous! Delicious! Yes, it is a very white dish, but it is also a very delicious dish. I made up for the color deficit by using brightly colored plates. I've made two versions of the recipe so far, and loved both. And they were quick and easy to make too. Here are the recipes I tried:

Pasta Col Cavolofiore

The second recipe I tried is from Martha Stewart's latest magazine issue, on one of those pull-out recipe cards. Go to the store and get the issue, because that recipe is well worth it! (The photo above is of Martha's recipe.)

And, obviously, great minds think alike because my favorite food blogger, Smitten Kitchen, just posted another cauliflower recipe today. I'll be trying it soon.

Let me know if you try any of these recipes or if you have a great cauliflower recipe to share.