Wednesday, November 11, 2009

selvage bracelet tutorial

I know I'm always really lazy whenever I tell you how I made something, and I've vowed to be better about taking photos of each step of a project. I'll also admit it drives me a bit nuts to stop and take a picture each step of the way, but I'm sure that with a little practice, I'll get used to it.

That being said, I wanted to share a really easy project with you using the selvages of your fabric. You know that little strip on the end that tells you the name of the fabric, that you always cut-off? Well, I recently came across this blog and I found myself paying attention to that little strip. And I figured out that the names of the fabrics are pretty fun. (Like Ride at Your Own Whisk!) So I decided to turn them into a bracelet.

Here we go, my first "real" tutorial:

(This makes one 9" x 1" bracelet.)


Rotary cutter or scissors
Fabric scraps
Sewing Machine (these are small, so you can also hand sew them too!)
Selvages of fabric
Velcro strips


1. Using a scrap of fabric, cut a strip of fabric measuring 4 inches wide by 9 inches long.

2. Lay your fabric, with the design facing down, on your table. Fold each long side of the fabric strip towards the center as shown in the photo. Press with your iron.

3. Then fold the strip in half as shown. Press with iron.

4. Sew around the entire outside of the strip, on all four sides.
5. Cut the saying you want to use off the selvage piece of fabric and center onto fabric. Sew onto the strip.
6. Sew Velcro onto ends of the strip.
7. Wear proudly. I like piling a bunch up on my arm, but I suppose you could also have some restraint and wear them one at a time.

Okay-I know I lost steam with the photos after Step Four. I think we all know that it's a miracle that I have as many steps up as I do. I promise to do better next time! Email me if you have any questions! Oh and speaking of patience. Check out this dress made entirely out of selvage pieces. I want one!