Wednesday, December 2, 2009

cupcake sewing cards tutorial


I received the book, Cupcakes! for my birthday. While reading it, I found a great tutorial for creating children's sewing cards shaped like cupcakes. In the book, fabric and fusible interfacing are used. I changed out the fabric for paper and the fusible webbing for cardboard and drew my own template. It was a super-fast project that had fantastic results. In fact, my four year old daughter spent the ENTIRE day yesterday playing with them. She told me it was like "sewing with angels". I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure it's a compliment.


Here's my version of the product using paper crafting supplies:

Supplies:
Cardboard
Scrapbook paper-one design for "frosting" and one design for the "wrapper"
Mod Podge Glue
1 yard of cording per cupcake

Tools:
Scissors
Crop-A-Dile

Instructions:
1. Draw a cupcake-shaped template onto cardboard, cut-out and trace onto scrapbook paper. I just laid the template down on the frosting, stopped where I thought the frosting should stop and then did the same with the wrapper. You can overlap the frosting a bit over the wrapper, but if you allow too much overlap, you risk the paper peeling up. If you want to cover the cardboard on the back, be sure to cut-out the entire shape of the cupcake template on another sheet paper.

2. Using the cupcake template again, cut-out the entire shape of the cupcake from the cardboard.

3. Glue frosting, wrapper and back papers to the cardboard shape. Use a thin layer of Modge Podge and be sure to cover the entire surface with glue. Gently press down and smooth out the paper. For added durability, you may want to add a light coat of Modge Podge over the entire surface of the front of the cupcake. Allow the glue to dry.

4. Once all the glue is dry, mark holes around the entire outside of the cupcake. The template I'm giving you has the holes marked, but you can add the holes as you see fit. Using a Crop-A-Dile or other sturdy hole punch tool, punch the holes out. With two layers of paper and cardboard, you need a tool that can hole punch through a fairly large thickness. Again, if you want the toy to be durable, you could also place brads or grommets in the holes.

5. Take cording and tie a large knot in one end. On the other end, wrap tape around the end of the cord to form a "needle" that won't fray.

6. Hand-over to your favorite toddler, pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the peace and quiet.