Friday, December 18, 2009

Trash to Treasure Gift Wrap

Today I feel like Cinderella. My husband has a holiday work party at lunch and my daughter has her school party and then is throwing a cookie decorating party here. The only holiday party I had on my calendar this year was last night and fifteen minutes before she was supposed to arrive my babysitter called to cancel. All dressed-up and no party for me. There wasn't a Fairy Godmother in sight either. So today I'm sitting here having a little pity party for myself.

I spent yesterday wrapping gifts for teachers. Guess what that paper is? Trader Joes' grocery bags! I carefully cut-out the parts of the bag that had some cute holiday sketches on them, glued a doily onto the side (I think I got that idea from Martha Stewart), and tied up the package with bakery twine. I think they came out pretty charming and the cost was very minimal! Now I keep humming a song from The Sound of Music. "Brown paper packages, tied up with string...."

For the tags, I just cut some cardstock from my scrap pile, hit one edge with one of my Fiskars Border Punches and glued a glittery, chipboard monogram onto the tag.

Take a few minutes today to wrap your presents. I know I'm guilty of just throwing wrapping paper on in a rush, but it's so relaxing to take your time and be creative. I know that I LOVE to get a beautiful package and it's very rewarding for me to be able to hand something pretty to someone I love.

*I have not received any money or products for the mention of any companies or products.