Monday, March 15, 2010

Lemon Bars and Easy Rider

What do lemon bars have to do with the movie, Easy Rider?  Let me tell you a little story.  It contains a shocking personal admission, so brace yourself!

This recipe for the lemon bars was given to me by a girl I worked with in Century City, CA (that's a part of Los Angeles).  This was when I was in my early 20s.  This sweet girl was a true L.A. party girl.  Some days she would come to work wearing her tiger-striped jeans because she was coming straight from a night of club hopping.  Everyone at the office was a blast to work with and I have fond memories of those days.  I was a  single girl, working in the big city.  Some days I would ride in elevators with movie and sport stars because their agents worked in my building.  I even once took a smoke break (yes, I'm ashamed to admit I used to be a smoker) and guess who was leaning against the wall taking one himself?  Dennis Hopper!  It's hard to believe I ever lived that way, but I did.  And when I make these lemon bars it makes me smile a little, remembering my youth.

Reba's Lemon Bars


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup flour
1/4 powdered sugar
dash of salt

Gooey Goodness:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons of lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
2 tablespoons of flour

Combine the crust ingredients.  Don't overwork the dough, it should end up being crumbly like pie crust dough.  Press into an 8"X8" greased pan.  Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Beat the ingredients for the gooey goodness together.  Pour over the hot crust.  Put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cool then sprinkle top with powdered sugar.  Cut into squares.  Take a bite and remember the days when you were a little bit sassy and sweet.