Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mini Quilt

Since I've started sewing and quilting, I've only been making useful items.  Quilts to be used as blankets.  Embroidered pillows, tea towels.  I know there's a lot of people out there who create quilts and other sewn items just for art's sake.  Pieces that are hung up and are meant to be admired.

I have a hard time with that.  When I first started painting, I didn't hang any of my work in my house.  But slowly, I started to put it up.  And the world didn't end and people who visited didn't say, "Where on Earth did you get that hideous piece of art?"  Instead, they searched around my house, always asking if I painted this or that.  But now I'm sewing and embroidering and quilting and my insecurities have started all over again.  Somehow, putting a pillow I've sewn on the couch is okay-it's functional.  But hanging a quilt I made on the wall?  How could I ever think that my work could be considered "art"?  If it's hanging on the wall, people might be able to see uneven stitches and the patchwork that doesn't quite line-up!

So I am starting small.  I made this mini-quilt over the weekend.  It's hanging over a bookcase on the landing of my staircase.  There is crooked piecework and I'm not sure if I like the fabric combination I chose, but I took a deep breath and slapped in on the wall. I have to walk by it a million times a day as I go up and down the stairs, but most visitors to my home will only see it from the front hall.  They'll have to peer up the stairs and won't be able to get too close to it.

I figure this a good way to work my way towards gaining confidence in displaying my work again.


I am happy with my little embroidered birds.  They are straight out of my sketch book.  I'm even considering selling an embroidery pattern of them in my shop.  What do you think?