Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Recipe Books


First, the moment you have all been waiting for.  The winner of the Style Statement book is Cindy of Side Tracked Artist!  Please email me with your address so I can get the book in the mail to you.  I'd also love to hear what you decide your Style Statement is, so be sure to stay in touch after you have read the book.

Last night, I finally got some sewing in.  I've been so busy getting ready for the show, that I haven't had much free time to just craft for fun.  I have a binder where I keep all the recipes I pull-out of magazines and online.  The binder was looking very shabby and papers were just being stuffed in there.  Every time I wanted to find a recipe, I had to dig through a mess of papers.  So I took a few minutes to reorganize my recipe binder.  I created sections that made sense to me, and neatly hole-punched and inserted all those papers into the binder.  When I was done, I snapped the binder closed and looked at the old, dirty, ugly cover of the binder and knew it was time to do a sewing project.

When I bought Alicia Paulson's great book, Stitched In Time, I knew I wanted to do the recipe book cover project, but I just never got around to it.  But last night, I pulled out the book, followed Alicia's excellent instructions and had my cover done in less than hour.  And it fit!  I was so excited about it, that I made a second cover for the binder I'm planning to use for holiday recipes and traditions.  If you haven't picked up Stitched in Time, I highly recommend it.  There are a ton of fabulous projects-all focused on the idea of capturing a moment in time with fabric and thread.  I'm waiting anxiously for her embroidery book to hit shelves soon too!

But back to my binder.  I now have a file folder in my kitchen where I put all those recipes I'm meaning to try.  They don't get moved into the binder until they've past the Bray family taste test.  I'm hoping to be disciplined and am going to try to pull one new recipe out of the folder each week so that it doesn't get too overwhelming.  The rest of my week's menu planning should be breeze as I will now be able to pull-out my beautiful recipe binder and find my family's favorite recipes quickly and easily.

____________________________
Material Connection Disclosure:
I have no material connection to the publishers or author of the book reviewed here.  I purchased the book for personal use.