Friday, May 28, 2010

My first television appearance


In April, I went to Portales, New Mexico and filmed three segments for the PBS show, Creative Living with Sheryl Borden.  Sheryl just sent me the video of the segments and said I could share them with you!  The segments will be on three different episodes next year.

Filming for TV definitely took me outside my comfort zone.  I was so nervous about making the trip and being on television!  But, thanks to a difficult trip, I was just so darn happy to be there that I didn't have time to be nervous.

It all started when my daughter threw-up all over our house two days before I was scheduled to leave.  I was worried about her and worried about catching whatever she had.  Sure enough, the night before I left, I began to get sick.  I almost cancelled the trip, but decided to suck it up and go.  I didn't eat anything in order to avoid getting ill on the plane.

All was well, until my flight was late departing.  I had a layover scheduled in Houston, then I was supposed to fly from there to Lubbock, Texas.  I was originally scheduled to arrive in Lubbock by 3:00pm-plenty of time to make the 2+ hour drive from Lubbock to Portales in daylight.  But I missed my connection, and landed in Lubbock at 7:00pm. (Thank you Continental Airlines for "making it up to me" by giving me a voucher for a free dinner.  That really made you screwing up my whole trip so much easier!)  By the time I got off the plane and picked-up my rental car, darkness was descending.  I hadn't eaten all day and felt weak and my head ached from being ill.  Huge stretches of flat, dark farmland, with no city lights loomed before me.  The only thing that occasionally lit my way was the oncoming thunderstorm's lightning bolts.  I tell you, I never felt so alone in my entire life.  There were stretches of road where I didn't see another living thing for miles.  The only way I was able to find the turns I needed to make was to take note of the miles I needed to go and start squinting in the darkness when I thought I was getting close.  I cried a few times.

At one point, I was afraid I missed a turn-off and when I finally hit something like civilization, I pulled into a mini mart and asked the boy behind the counter if I was on the right track.  He hadn't heard of the road I was looking for.  His friend was hanging out with him and asked where I was heading.  I told him and he gave me directions.  Throwing in "Ma'am" and being very polite.  In fact, he offered to drive in front of me for a few miles and show me where I needed to turn.  Being a "big city" girl, I was leery of following a strange man in the dark and politely rejected his offer.  (Isn't it sad that we have to be afraid like that?)  I thanked the boys and drove off.  I finally rolled into Portales after 9pm and gratefully checked into my hotel.  This was the joy of the evening.  The hotel desk clerk was so kind to me.  After being abused by the airline all day, good customer service was such a novel experience.  So here's a grateful shout out to Holiday Express & Suites in Portales, New Mexico!

I had to be at the station a little after 8am.  And I'm not kidding when I tell you that I was so exhausted from the harrowing trip that I didn't feel nervous at all.  My illness had passed and the host, Sheryl Borden was beyond sweet to me.  When we were filming, I forgot that there were cameras there.  I even had a surprise, live audience of local high school students.  I thought I would be really nervous because of the audience, but I completely forgot them once I got started.  We only had to do one retake and it wasn't because of any errors on my part.

So I'm sharing my videos with you today.  I probably don't have to tell you that I HATE the way I look. I wish I could blame the weight I'm carrying on the "camera adds 10 pounds" adage, but I would be lying.  But then, I didn't really expect to like how I looked.  I just give myself credit for looking halfway human considering the day of travel and illness I had the previous day.  And I think I sound pretty professional and relaxed, so I'm trying to stay focused on that.

All in all, I'm really proud of myself for pushing beyond my limits.  As I've grown older, I've tended to take the easy way out and I'm surprised by how energized I felt by taking a risk.  Sheryl said I was welcome to come back and film with her again and you know, I just might take her up on it.

So here are the links to the segments:

Fantasy Candy Garland.  I teach you how to use Art Glitter's Fantasy Film to create really cool faux candy.

Felt Flower Headband.  A tutorial on how I create felt flowers to embellish headbands.

Pack of Paper Party.  Some cool ideas on how to use your scrapbook and party supplies to create a custom look for your party on a budget.  You can see the video at the top of this post.


If you want to win the candy yarn wreath that's featured in the Fantasy Candy segment and support a PBS station, click here to bid on it.