Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bonjour Butterfly Birthday Party

We are butterfly crazy here.  As many of you know, I live with Super Butterfly Spy Girl and she's turning 5 tomorrow.  To celebrate, we are having a Bonjour Butterfly party.  It was inspired by the book, Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly by Jane O'Connor.  A favorite read around here.  In my planning stages, I found tons of butterfly ideas at Martha Stewart's website.  Most of them are for weddings and showers, but they are easily adaptable to any party.  I have to admit that I recently purchased Martha Stewart Weddings magazine and my wedding was ages ago (14 years ago on June 22!).  It's a great resource for inspiration.  Not just for parties but also paper crafting.  Not to mention it's just plain pretty to look at.

Since the party, isn't until Saturday, I don't have a ton of photos to show you yet.  The photo above is the invitation we sent out.  And here's my inspiration board:


And my work in progress:


I've found Sizzix's Bigz Beautiful Butterflies Die to be a life saver for all the decorations.  If I had to cut out all those butterflies, my hands would be seriously cramping!  (Thanks for lending me the die Michelle!)

There are also plans for a Vintage Candy Bar ala Amy Atlas.  I'm filling the table with candy buttons, wax bottle candy, and gum balls.  At the end of the party, the kids can "go shopping" at the candy bar and fill their bags with the candy of their choice as a their party favors.  Talk about being a kid in the candy store!  If you've never looked at Amy's work before, please visit her blog.  You can spend hours viewing her portfolio and daydreaming about candy and paper-two of my favorite things!  And I'm making Sherbet Punch.  Remember that from your childhood?  That pink, frothy, sticky, super sweet punch?  The taste of it always takes me back to childhood parties.

I promise to take lots of photos of the finished event and share them next week.  Wish me luck in the meantime.  The countdown to party time has begun and I'm feeling a bit stressed.

P.S. Want more party ideas?  Revisit last year's Mermaid Party here.
______________________________
Material Connection Disclosure:  I am an affiliate for Amazon and Sizzix.  I will receive a small commission on products purchased via the links above.