Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Craft Corps Book Review

Craft Corps: Celebrating the Creative Community One Story at a Time

Last week, I received my copy of Vickie Howell's new book, Craft Corps: Celebrating the Creative Community One Story at a Time.  I received a copy because I have a profile in the book!  Yep!  Right on page 67.  In the very same book as some of my heros, including Mary Engelbreit, Craft Chica, and Amy Butler.

Now, I'll be honest.  As excited as I was about being in the book, when I first opened it, I have to admit that I didn't think I was going to like it.  When I get a crafty book, I want lots and lots of photos and creative inspiration.  And there aren't very many pictures in this book. But then I started reading it and became so intrigued by the text that I forgot all about the lack of eye candy.  The interviews are amazingly honest and many of the creative "stars" talk about their creative business journey in ways I've never heard before.  They talk about their struggles.  They tell you how they hit on a winning formula for success.  I came away from my reading session, realizing that 99% of them didn't "make it" overnight.  That they have in their pasts all the struggles I am going through right now.  They are also very generous (as artists and crafters tend to be) with helpful advice.  They are willing to share how they got through those struggles and are happily leaving markers along their paths for the rest of us to follow so that our creative journeys might be a little bit easier.

So, if you are feeling frustrated or are just wondering how Carol Duvall built her creative empire, be sure to get a copy of Craft Corps: Celebrating the Creative Community One Story at a Time.  You are sure to be inspired.

Craft Corps

Can't wait to get the book?  Visit the Craft Corp website here.

______________________________
Material Connection Disclosure:  I received a free copy of this book.  I am an Amazon Affiliate and will receive a small commission on book purchases made via the links above.