Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sewing Again


I'm so happy that all my party planning and birthdays and everything else is finally over!  I've been able to play around with my sewing machine again and start working on the list of projects I wanted to do.


I'm in a pillow swap on Flickr right now.  The group is amazing and quite intimidating.  I can't believe the talent of some of the members.  I was scared to death to join in, but I decided I wasn't going to improve my sewing skills doing easy projects, so I took a deep breath and jumped in.  My partner promptly challenged me by requesting circles.  Do you know how hard that is?  Squares are easy-you sew in a straight line.  Just getting the mechanics of creating a circle in a quilt is difficult.  But I did it!  I'm so dang proud of myself!  My partner also asked for red & white & aqua and told me she loved Japanese fabrics.  I tried to incorporate all her desires into the pillow.  To create the pattern, I used a circle quilt tutorial in Better Homes and Garden's Quilts and More magazine.  I just scaled it down for a pillow.  I bought some Japanese fabric from Sew Deerly Loved on Etsy, and I started sewing.  The back of the pillow is white & aqua polka dot fabric.  The pillow is going in the mail tomorrow and I'm hoping my partner will be pleased.

This is the pillow I received in the swap. (Sorry I can't take a photo because of California's "June Gloom", but hop over to Flickr to look at it!)  It's a blind swap, so we all receive and send to different people.  Isn't it the prettiest pillow you ever saw?  It's courtesy of the brilliant mind behind Maricopa Fabrics.  I'm telling you, this swap was quality!  I'm hoping they will let me in next time too!