Saturday, July 10, 2010

Headband Holder Tutorial


If you have a little girl with very long hair, who loves to wear headbands, this tutorial is for you!  We have struggled to organize the huge amount of hair accessories that we have on hand forever.  And headbands are tricky.  They are large and cumbersome and get tangled with one another.  Not a good thing on a busy morning.

But a simple solution lies in your kitchen cabinet!  An empty oatmeal box is the perfect size to hook headbands around without them falling off or stretching them out of shape.  And there's a handy-dandy compartment to stow away other accessories and hair bows inside the box.

Here's how I made mine:

Supplies:
1 cardboard oatmeal canister
2 pieces of 12" x 12" scrapbook paper
Ruler
Scissors
Glue or double sided tape

Instructions:

-Measure the height of your oatmeal canister and cut your scrapbook paper to size.  I only measured to just below where the lid sits, because I wanted to be able to easily open and close the lid so that I could use the inside of the box for storage.  If I put the paper all the way up and under the lid, it would be a tight fit and make getting in & out of the box difficult.


-Tape or glue the paper around the canister to completely cover the outside.  It took me about one and half sheets of paper to do this on my canister.

-Slide headbands on.

I bet that using felt instead of paper would make the headband even less likely to slide around on the canister.


P.S.  If you like the felt flower headbands shown in these photos, you can learn how to make them here.