Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A lesson in simplicity

I had a wonderful summer weekend.  Filled with fireworks, swimming, visits with good friends and our meals were made from the season's bounty of fruit and vegetables that are starting to make their way into our farmer's market.

Yesterday afternoon, I had one of those moments.  Those rare moments where you feel so good and relaxed and happy that you almost have to pinch yourself to see if it's really all happening.  And the funny thing is, I wasn't doing anything spectacular.  I was folding laundry in my room.  I could hear my daughter splashing in the bathtub as she rinsed a day spent at the pool off of herself.  I knew our wet beach towels and swim suits were hanging over the patio chairs outside.  The smell of charcoal floated through the window as my husband prepared to BBQ some chicken.  It was all unplanned.  It reminded me of my childhood summers.  It was so simple.
I'm vowing now to continue on my journey of simplicity.  To spend the summer carefree and not plan it away.  To just let things happen.  Because that's when the best stuff happens.  As you can tell from my breakfast photos, I think I'm off to a good start.