Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Published in Somerset Life

I have been reading the magazine, Somerset Life, since it began publication.  It's one of the prettiest magazines out there.  A magazine to relax with.  The kind that you bring home from the bookstore, find a comfortable spot in your home, brew some tea and then read it.  I've been published in a few of Stampington's magazines, but now I can proudly say I have some artwork published in Somerset Life!

A few years ago, I submitted some collage kits for some retro paper dolls.  There was a kit for a Retro Housewife Paper Doll and one for a Retro Office Gal Paper Doll.  If you have been reading my blog for a long time, you know that I used to be really big in paper dolls.  I remember the night I got the idea for my paper doll kits.  It was a "jump up in the middle of the night" moment, afraid I would lose the idea.  Included with each kit, I listed some of my favorite old movies, each one depicting either the retro housewife or the retro office gal accordingly.  I loved combining my love of old movies with paper dolls.  (Not to mention how therapeutic is was in dealing with my emotions regarding my recent move from career woman to full time mommy!) And now my kits are in a magazine.  I hope the kits and the article inspire you to play with some paper dolls!

Did you want to know my list of movies?  Here they are:

Retro Housewife Movies

Please Don't Eat the Daisies

Yours, Mine, Ours (The original please, with Lucille Ball.  Not the bad remake with Steve Martin!)

The Thrill of It All (This one is about a woman deciding between her family & her career.  It's a story that could only have happened in 1963, yet rings vaguely familiar as we all struggle for balance and fulfillment.)

Retro Office Girl Movies

Best of Everything (You think you are having a bad day at the office?  Check out the way women, especially if they were trying to have a career, were treated in this melodrama!)

Adam's Rib

Woman of the Year

Mad Men - Season One (Actually every season is amazing.  I know this isn't technically an old movie, but I love, love, love this series.  And I'm guessing it's pretty darn accurate in it's portrayal of women in the workforce in the 1960s)

What movies do recommend for the retro housewife or retro office gal?  I'd love some suggestions!

And, if you want to buy the magazine, it's carried in bookstores or you can order it online here.

P.S.  Thanks to all the Somerset Life readers who have contacted me and asked me about buying my retro paper doll kits.  I made the ones for the magazine ages ago and don't have much of the goodies left.  I'm waiting to get the original kits back so that I can put them in my Etsy shop.  I also think I might be able to make up a couple of Retro Housewife Paper Doll kits, I'm going to try to get it all together and listed in the shop in the next week.  I'll let you know when I do!