Monday, August 23, 2010

The crafts are in the mail

I finally caught up on some projects last week and was able to send off some packages to some of my creative friends.  Birthday & "just because" projects are so fun to send out and I always enjoy creating for people who appreciate it.  Fellow artists and crafters "get" the creativity behind the gift.  As opposed to those non-creative types.  The ones I give something and I then wonder if they are rolling their eyes and thinking, not another handmade gift...

This pillow went to out to my good friend Pilar on the occasion of her birthday.  I can tell you this, because she already received the package, so I'm not ruining any surprises.  It's a mini-quilt I sewed and then turned into a pillow.  The fun part of this piece is the bottom right square.

I took a piece of plain cotton fabric, then sketched on it with Micron Pens and Copic markers.  Then I embellished the design with embroidery and beads.  I'm not sure that the process would work for anything that would need to be washed, but for decorative items, it's a great way to design your own fabric.  To keep the fabric from puckering when you draw on it, put it in a large embroidery hoop, with the right side of the fabric facing down.  Flip the hoop over and you can easily draw and color on the taunt fabric.

Speaking of embroidery hoops, the other package that went out contains one of my dream catchers.  This time with a bee theme.  I love how the beads represent a honeycomb.  I hope the recipient likes it.  I can't say who it is yet, because they haven't received their package yet.  Could it be you?