Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cupcake Camp OC

We were lucky enough to attend Cupcake Camp OC this past weekend.  A cupcake lover's paradise to say the least.  For a nominal donation, you got tickets to enter a local hotel ballroom and get cupcakes from the best local bakeries and cupcake shops.  All the proceeds benefited charity.  So, of course, we HAD to go eat cupcakes.  I mean, it was for charity, right?

There was a huge crowd and, because it's a grass roots movement, it was a little disorganized.  But I could have lived with that.  It was my fellow cupcake lovers that were the main problem.  Pushing and shoving to get to the tables.  I watched as some people took more cupcakes than they had tickets for (in the chaos it was hard for the bakeries to keep track).  People were even shoving my five year old daughter aside as she tried to politely choose her cupcakes.  I'm telling you, these weren't the cupcake lovers I know.  Usually they are sweet as  could be, but this was like Shark Week on Discovery Channel, only with cupcakes!  A feeding frenzy!

Enough complaining.  The cupcakes were delicious.  I wish I could remember all the bakeries' names so I could give proper credit, but I LOVED these Chocolate Sundae Smile Cupcakes (I think they were from My Delight Cupcakery).  They were even better than they looked-with a creamy caramel surprise between the frosting and cake.  Another bakery that rocked my world was the one that had Orange Slice Cupcakes.  Orange Slices are my favorite candy and these cupcakes tasted just like them!  My husband's pick were the Maple and Bacon cupcakes.  We're just coming off our sugar high now.

So, if Cupcake Camp comes to a location near you-go!  Just be nice and don't push, ok?

P.S.  If you were a baker at Cupcake Camp OC and I mentioned one of your cupcakes, please let me know so I can link to you and give you credit!