Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dolly's Got a New Ride

We inherit a lot of toys from my sister.  My niece is 10 and she's kind enough to pass her toys onto my five year old daughter as she outgrows them.  And that's how my daughter got a carriage for her baby dolls.  But it had been used for years and the decorative stickers were peeling off and it looked, well, used.

Of course I saw this as challenge and started brainstorming about how I could fix it up a bit for my daughter.  A cute seat cushion came to mind, so my daughter and I trooped upstairs, where she chose some fabric for the project and I got to sewing.  The greatest thing about this project is that it takes very little money or time to make an impactful change.  The carriage was free, I used less than a fat quarter of fabric and a some quilt batting leftover from another project.  Leftover ribbons, tied to the handle finished the look.  I made the whole thing in 45 minutes. 

So, if your dolly needs a pimped out ride, pull out that old toy carriage (or go to the thrift store and score one), then follow this easy tutorial.

Toy Stroller Cushion Tutorial

Supplies:
1 fat quarter of fabric
quilt batting
sewing machine and thread
Velcro (Optional)

Instructions:
1.  Measure the back and bottom of the seat of the stroller.  Add a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around.  Cut two pieced of fabric based on your measurements.  Cut a piece of quilt batting slightly smaller than the fabric pieces

2.  Make a quilt sandwich.  Lay down one piece of fabric with it's right side facing up.  Then lay second piece of fabric right side facing down.  Lay quilt batting on top and pin. 

3.  Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew around the perimeter of your quilt sandwich.  Leave a small opening so you can turn the cushion right side out.

4.  Once you have completed sewing the cushion, turn it.  Press the opening closed and pin.  Sew a top stitch around the outside of the fabric, making sure you close the opening. 

5.  If you choose, quilt the cushion.

As a child, I hated it when cushions on toys like this slipped around, so I glued one side of a strip of velcro to the back and bottom of the carriage seat and then sewed the other side of the velcro to the cushion.  Now the cushion wills stay in place, but I can easily pull it out of the carriage if needs to be washed.  If you get started on this project now, you could have a great little carriage ready for holiday gift giving.