Saturday, September 4, 2010

Vacation on California Central Coast: Cambria

When we arrived in Cambria, we checked into our hotel, The Cambria Pines Lodge.  Usually, we stay on Moonstone Beach, but the Cambria Pines Lodge was offering a great deal and I couldn't pass it up.  It turned out to be a wonderful choice.  It is only a short drive from the hotel to the beach and Hearst Castle and is nestled into the woodsy hillside overlooking Cambria's village.  The hotel prides itself on it's gardening, and as you can see from today's photos, they should! 

I got so many ideas for my own little postage-stamp sized yard.  Every morning after breakfast (included with the price of the room), we would stroll around the gardens.  Our room was fantastic and even had a little patio that overlooked the pines.  We glimpsed a deer one evening before we went to dinner.

Of course, we couldn't go to Cambria without visiting Hearst Castle.  It was my third time there and I just couldn't bear to do the first tour again, so we opted for the second tour. 

We got to see the bedrooms in the main house, two libraries and the kitchen.  Of course, the pools were also included.  I highly recommend this tour.  There are a TON of stairs though, so be prepared for a workout.

After our visit to the castle, we had lunch at Moonstone Beach. 

We met some overly friendly squirrels, which delighted my daughter and enjoyed the rocky Central Coastline.

We also kicked around the village, had some fantastic meals, did some shopping and really relaxed.  All in all it was fantastic trip.  If you plan on making a similiar trip, feel free to email me for restaurant recommendations etc.  I love to share my travel finds with people!